Ca´ Pesaro Papafava
The Palace is mentioned in a verdict passed by the Signori di Notte al Criminal (a Magistracy in the Venetian Republic) dated 9 February 1372. However, the facade dates back to a later period (1450-1460). The palace belonged to the patrician family Pesaro and it was named Pesaro-Papafava after the marriage, in 1625, between Bonifazio Papafava and Pesarina Pesaro. It was later inherited by the Papafava family.
Bonifazio, a knight of the Redentore Order, descended from a rich Venetian family, and this qualified him to be invested with the patriciate on 22 December 1652. The title enabled him to participate in the exercise of political and economic power in the Serenissima.
Building and architectural elements
The Papafava palace represents an interesting repertoire of art from the XIV to the XVIII centuries. Building with Gothic style lancet arches - its rich facade overlooking the canal of the Misericordia, situated behind, is particularly valuable. Enriched by elegant Gothic mullioned windows with four lights, the protruding balcony and sleek column-shaped balustrades, the great regularity of this building recalls the Ca' Foscari edifice.
AT HOME A PALAZZO
Ca'Pesaro Papafava - Venezia
Cannaregio - Calle Priuli - Racchetta 37 64
Tel. & Fax +39 041 5235260